If you ask me everything. As I have said before, I love my name. I was named after my grandmother and I love the uniqueness of it. So when picking out names for my children, I have been particularly picky. With my first, Desmond, it was a bit easier we both loved the name immediately. It was unusual but not something we made up, it has many options for nicknames and could be pronounced in Spanish. It just clicked right away. But this time we are having a bit of trouble so here are the contenders so far:
- Xavier – I really like this name it’s strong, can be pronounced in Spanish but it’s getting popular – and that is a HUGE negative for me. There is also no way to shorten it but how cool is it to have an “x” in your name?
- Maclean – This one isn’t even on the top 1,000 list for the Social Security office list of names. I love the nickname “Mac” probably more than I like the full name but it doesn’t sound like a full name. But Maclean is on the verge of almost made up. Plus there are too many ways to pronounce it: “MAC- LEAN” or “Ma-CLEAN” or “MA-CLANE” I’m not sure which one I would use.
- Bowen – Another name where I like the nickname probably more than the full name. Bowen would probably be mispronounced by my Spanish-speaking mother but “Bo” is a great nickname.
- Felix – I like this one but my husband does not agree. It does not have a way to shorten the name but can be pronounced in Spanish. But all my husband thinks of is:
- Dylan – I don’t like this one but my husband loves it (he’s a Bob Dylan fan). Initially all I could think of was 90210. Taking a step back and thinking about it I don’t think it’s that bad, it’s just really common.
- George – Another common name but it’s my husband’s middle name and was his grandfather’s name and I like names with roots but the royal couple did name their baby George so that kind of popularity is a bit too much for me.
The truth is when we decided on Desmond, We were 100% sure that was going to be his name. This time it’s not so easy. We have a month to go and I can’t decide on anything. Any suggestions?